True Layer Duplicator is a Powerful and Free Script that Duplicates a Layer based comp hierarchy including subcomps.
It resembles True Comp Duplicator Just with a Twist- It works on Comp Based Layers!
This tool will duplicate the selected layer but will also duplicate the inner Hierarchy of the layer.
This will save you the time of manually duplicating and replacing the relevant layers (with or without TrueComp duplicator), while keeping the changes made to the original layer.
The installation is pretty straight forward and with a few steps you can set a Shortcut to launch the script as a regular command (ctrl/cmd+alt+D).
- Extract the True Layer Duplicator.jsxbin for the Zip file and place it in the Scripts folder:
- PC: Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects ##\Support Files\Scripts\
- Mac: Applications/Adobe After Effects ##\Scripts\
- Restart After Effects.
Creating the Ctrl+Alt+D Shortcut (CC2018 or Above)
- Open the Keyboard Shortcuts window from Edit Menu. (CC2018 or Above*)
- Search for “dup” in the search field (figure #1), click the empty shortcut box right to the True Layer Duplicator.jsxbin and press Ctrl+Alt+D on the keyboard (Cmd+Alt+D on a mac)(figure #2) and press OK to confirm.
Creating the Ctrl+Alt+D Shortcut (CC2017 or Below)
- Use aeScripts Guide “How to use a keyboard shortcut to run a script” (if that’s your first Script you add it’ll be number 12)
- Your Adobe “After Effects XX.x Shortcuts.txt” file should look something like this and your “File->Scripts” menu should look like this.
Select a Comp Based Layer in the Timeline and press Ctrl+Alt+D
** Original image by Marco Verch
Get Updates Notifications
Like our Facebook Page and make sure notifications are turned ON
Sign-in to our NewsLetter: